LOCATION: 414 N. Main Street Wake Forest, NC 27587 REG HOURS: (TUES-FRI) 9am to noon and 1:30 to 4:30pm SUNDAY HOURS: 2-5pm (Dependent on Volunteers) CONTACT: 919-556-2911
It was spring of 1933 when the Wake Forest Garden Club decided to implore residents to fix the place up. The plan was a community-wide landscape project, and the goal was to impress motorists traveling on the newly completed U.S. Route 1.
This received newspaper coverage, suggesting it must have been a novel idea for the town of just 5,000 citizens.
According to contemporary reports, approximately 2,250 automobiles were passing through Wake Forest daily. Concerned about the town’s appearance, Garden Club members compiled a list of improvements and hired residents who’d lost their jobs in the Great Depression to do the work.
So what did a highway beautification project look like 85-years ago?
This is the complete list:
(Published in the March 25, 1933 issue of the Old Gold & Black.)