All visitors must wear a mask while inside the museum and Calvin Jones House. We appreciate your cooperation! The museum will be closed during the Thanksgiving holiday, from November 22-29.
The Wake Forest College Birthplace Society has spent more than half a century working to keep the story of Old Wake Forest alive, and what began as a small group of activists in 1956 has grown into a substantial and significant nonprofit organization.
Today the Society owns over 15,000 pages of documents ranging from the lecture notes of Dr. Willis Cullom to the football plays of Coach “Peahead” Walker. We have collected more than 5,000 photographs, approximately 1,000 books, and hundreds of artifacts.
This vital work is made possible by extensive financial support from Wake Forest University, the Town of Wake Forest, a network of old and new alumni and residents, and the many friends we’ve made over the years. Society memberships pay for the museum’s utilities and maintenance, and allow us to purchase documents and artifacts when they become available.
Looking to the Society’s future– as we seek to expand our collections and grow our endowment– it’s crucial that we continue to seek and sustain our very special connections with the rapidly growing communities here in the Town of Wake Forest and at Wake Forest University.
Since its founding the mission of the Wake Forest College Birthplace Society has been to preserve and share the history of Wake Forest College and the Town of Wake Forest.
Eleven women of the Wake Forest Garden Club began a campaign in 1956 to raise funds to save the building where Wake Forest College was begun, the Calvin Jones house. They were successful in raising $2,500 and obtaining a matching donation from the College to move the house. Within months, the old structure had been carefully transferred six blocks up North Main Street to four acres given by the College.
Restoration of the exterior of the house was completed in late 1963. The Wake Forest Community Council painted the exterior as a Bicentennial project funded by sixteen community groups. Basic landscaping of the site followed, and soon an anonymous gift enabled the restoration of the rooms. Enough furnishings and memorabilia had been collected by October of 1979 to open the house as a museum.