Wake Forest Historical Museum

Due to concerns over COVID-19, the museum has suspended public operations until further notice. Staff will be checking emails and voicemail regularly and responding as quickly as possible to questions and concerns. Please check back for updates. Thank you for understanding.

The Movie Theaters

The Forest Theater on South White Street, circa 1942, was a popular destination for college students and town residents, particularly after it became the first local business to install air-conditioning. … Continue reading

August 23, 2013 · 2 Comments

Olive Branch Baptist Church

During the Civil War, slaves worshipping at Wake Forest Baptist Church broke away to create their own congregation. The Baptist Church leaders offered help, funding and guidance, demonstrating the Christian … Continue reading

August 20, 2013 · Leave a comment

North Main Street

After the Railroad station helped establish a thriving business district, houses started springing up around Wake Forest College. Many of them, built for local businessmen and professors, covered several blocks … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · 1 Comment

Demon Deacon

The colors “Old Gold and Black” have long been associated with Wake Forest, and early nicknames were the “Baptists” and at one point the “tigers.” But the name “Demon Deacon” … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · Leave a comment

“Doctor” Tom Jeffries

Born a slave in Virginia, Tom Jeffries came to Wake Forest College in 1884 and continued working there for 43-years. Students and professors often sought his advice and wisdom, and … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · Leave a comment

The Harricanes

Along the northwestern rim of Wake County runs a lean piece of land known as “The Harricane.” It got its name from a renegade storm that ripped through the area … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · 48 Comments

The Business District

In 1872 Wake Forest College convinced the Railroad to move the station from Forestville to a location just east of the campus. Shortly afterwards, the College began to sell lots … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · Leave a comment

Royall Cotton Mill

In 1899 Wake Forest College graduates Robert E. Royall, Thomas E. Holding, and William C. Powell built a cotton mill on a twenty-five acre tract north of the Wake Forest … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · 2 Comments

The Mackie Gift

In honor of his parents, Dr. George Mackie and Kathleen Mackie Lake, Jim Mackie and his wife Clare donated the home at 340 North Main Street to the Wake Forest … Continue reading

July 21, 2013 · Leave a comment

Building the Exhibits

As of October 1, 2010, what was once a cavernous black space is now taking shape… turning into the small, three-walled rooms (known as “vignettes” in museum lingo) where museum … Continue reading

July 21, 2013 · Leave a comment

The Normal and Industrial School

This was once considered the most important school for African American students in Wake County. Educator Allen Young began building the campus in northeast Wake Forest in 1905, and it … Continue reading

July 21, 2013 · Leave a comment

The British Connection

News stories about William and Kate bring to mind all things British… including the excellent but nearly forgotten story of young World War II refugees safely shipped here from their … Continue reading

July 21, 2013 · Leave a comment

Mill Village Artifacts

The artifacts recently brought to a ladies’ luncheon at the new museum gave a fascinating glimpse into the history kept in our very own homes. Members of the Golden Circle … Continue reading

July 19, 2013 · Leave a comment

Wake Forest in the Movies

The Wake Forest Historical Museum collection is brightened in many ways by the presence of a particular sample of archival footage shot here in 1939. The filmmaker was H. Lee … Continue reading

July 18, 2013 · Leave a comment

The Women’s History Exhibit

Two years in the making, our Women of Wake Forest exhibit will open on March 23, 2013… giving us a chance to learn from the stories of local women of … Continue reading

July 18, 2013 · 1 Comment

Governor Holden’s Mirror

We’re very grateful to Richard Day (WFC ’56). He was one of the last students to attend the Old Campus and he’s never forgotten us. Now he’s made a wonderful … Continue reading

July 18, 2013 · Leave a comment