Wake Forest Historical Museum Free Admission

LOCATION: 414 N. Main Street Wake Forest, NC 27587 REG HOURS: (TUES-FRI) 9am to noon and 1:30 to 4:30pm SUNDAY HOURS: 2-5pm (Dependent on Volunteers) CONTACT: 919-556-2911

Familiar Scenes at Shorty’s, 1950

On November 20, 1950, a reporter from the Old Gold & Black caught a few students having a late evening snack at Shorty’s. “Stanley Johnson is sleepily telling a friend of … Continue reading

September 27, 2016 · Leave a comment

The Last of the College Restaurants and Radio Station

It was April 1956 and Wake Forest was splitting in two. The town and college were about to break apart, becoming separate entities for the first time in their 122-year history. … Continue reading

April 29, 2016 · 1 Comment

The 1940 Fire at Shorty’s Theater

Shorty’s Famous Hot Dogs is legendary, but did you know Shorty Joyner also owned the Collegiate Theatre? It was on South White Street–right where the restaurant is today–and it catered to … Continue reading

March 15, 2016 · Leave a comment