With the help of DuBois School alumni and the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, the museum’s archival material related to Wake Forest’s DuBois School is now available online. The DuBois School student newspaper, The Gazette, makes up most of the digitized material, but you will also find a 1964 and 1965 student yearbook, and material published by the National Alumni Association of DuBois.
February is Black History Month, and the Wake Forest Historical Museum is partnering with the Wake Forest Historic Preservation Commission to offer a series of virtual presentations on African American … Continue reading
UPDATE – CHANGE OF DATE: Due to Hurricane Florence, this Town of Wake Forest program has been rescheduled for Sunday, October 7th at 3pm. With a sharp focus on history, … Continue reading
It’s surprising to think the Town of Wake Forest still had a blacksmith shop until about 1960. It was where Lumpy’s Ice Cream is today; just an unpainted wooden building … Continue reading
It was February 10, 1946 when heavy rain struck–bringing with it a miracle that could be called fate, luck, or Providence. As it was a Sunday morning, the children of … Continue reading
On the afternoon of January 13, 1923, an out of control blaze destroyed the home of “Doctor” Tom Jeffries in Wake Forest’s northeast neighborhood. Jeffries, born a slave in Virginia, … Continue reading
To mark Black History Month, the museum is sharing a rare collection of images from the DuBois School. By the time these photographs were taken in 1964-65, school segregation was … Continue reading
Like an echo of the literature, music, and fashion known as the Harlem Renaissance, the African-American community in mid-20th century Wake Forest experienced a surge in creativity, intellectualism, and culture. … Continue reading