Wake Forest Historical Museum

All visitors must wear a mask while inside the museum and Calvin Jones House. We appreciate your cooperation!

Familiar Scenes at Shorty’s, 1950

On November 20, 1950, a reporter from the Old Gold & Black caught a few students having a late evening snack at Shorty’s. “Stanley Johnson is sleepily telling a friend of … Continue reading

September 27, 2016 · Leave a comment

“Shorty” is Dedicatee of this Issue of Paper

On Friday, December 4, 1942, the staff of the Old Gold and Black devoted an entire edition to Shorty Joyner. This wasn’t the first time the Wake Forest College newspaper had … Continue reading

June 8, 2016 · 1 Comment

A History of Shorty’s Famous Hotdogs in Ads

Flip through this history of Shorty’s from 1919 through 1950 by clicking on each photo in the gallery. These advertisements ran in the Wake Forest College newspaper, some more than once, and … Continue reading

June 1, 2016 · 4 Comments

“Main Street, Wake Forest” Has a Personality

In March 1944, an article about our historic downtown appeared in the Wake Forest College newspaper, the Old Gold & Black. Essentially a love letter to South White Street, it was written … Continue reading

February 18, 2016 · 6 Comments

The Business District

In 1872 Wake Forest College convinced the Railroad to move the station from Forestville to a location just east of the campus. Shortly afterwards, the College began to sell lots … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · Leave a comment