Wake Forest Historical Museum

LOCATION: 414 N. Main Street Wake Forest, NC 27587 CONTACT: 919-556-2911

When William Bailey Royall Met the King of Greece

  Wake Forest College Professor William Bailey Royall made international news on May 17, 1904 when he bumped into King George and Queen Olga of Greece while touring the palace … Continue reading

May 18, 2016 · Leave a comment

The Last of the College Restaurants and Radio Station

It was April 1956 and Wake Forest was splitting in two. The town and college were about to break apart, becoming separate entities for the first time in their 122-year history. … Continue reading

April 29, 2016 · 1 Comment

A Lifetime of Friendship: A Gift to the Museum

Throughout the 1940s-50s, Murray Greason (WFC ‘59, JD ‘62), James Mackie ( WFC ‘60), Larry Harris, and Tommy Holding were the boys everyone knew. They played, schemed, and cavorted through town. And the … Continue reading

April 6, 2016 · Leave a comment

The 1956 Winston Move Left Dr. Cullom Behind

(From an article by Lloyd Preslar, in a 1956 edition of the Old Gold & Black.) When Wake Forest moves to Winston-Salem this spring, the College will leave behind many … Continue reading

March 24, 2016 · Leave a comment

Old Campus Trek on April 23, 2016

This year’s Old Campus Trek, scheduled for Saturday April 23rd, once again brings together students and alumni from the old and new campuses of Wake Forest University. Activities begin at … Continue reading

March 19, 2016 · Leave a comment

The 1940 Fire at Shorty’s Theater

Shorty’s Famous Hot Dogs is legendary, but did you know Shorty Joyner also owned the Collegiate Theatre? It was on South White Street–right where the restaurant is today–and it catered to … Continue reading

March 15, 2016 · Leave a comment

Gore Gym Once “Best in State”

As the move to Winston-Salem crept closer, the college found that saying goodbye to Wake Forest wasn’t easy. They shared so many memories–including 21-years of heart-stopping basketball on the slick hardwood of … Continue reading

February 25, 2016 · Leave a comment

“Main Street, Wake Forest” Has a Personality

In March 1944, an article about our historic downtown appeared in the Wake Forest College newspaper, the Old Gold & Black. Essentially a love letter to South White Street, it was written … Continue reading

February 18, 2016 · 6 Comments

From Slavery to Freedom in Wake Forest

When Calvin Jones arrived at his newly purchased farm in 1821–in the part of the county he later named “Wake Forest”–he brought more than his family. He also brought a number of … Continue reading

February 2, 2016 · 5 Comments

The Big Snow of 1948

A violent winter storm hit town in 1948. It was the first week of February, and twelve inches of ice and snow threatened to shut down campus. Law Professor William Soule … Continue reading

January 21, 2016 · 5 Comments

“Doctor” Tom Loses Home by Fire

On the afternoon of January 13, 1923, an out of control blaze destroyed the home of “Doctor” Tom Jeffries in the Wake Forest neighborhood now known as the East End. … Continue reading

January 13, 2016 · 1 Comment

Spending the Day in Old Salem

(CIRCA Magazine – A travel column from the Wake Forest Historical Museum) Stepping into Old Salem is more than an experience, it’s a revelation. The air is clearer. The colors are … Continue reading

January 7, 2016 · 2 Comments

Museum Holiday Card Gallery

We hope you enjoy this gallery of cards from the past several years, illustrated by local artist Shirley Matheny. And we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New … Continue reading

December 22, 2015 · Leave a comment

Merry Christmas! ‘1875 Style’

In the early days of Wake Forest College, it was too difficult for students to travel home for the holidays. This article, published decades ago, gives a glimpse of  Christmas in … Continue reading

December 4, 2015 · 1 Comment

Lovefeast at Wake Forest Historical Museum

Lovefeast at Wake Forest Historical Museum (This event is full. Registration is closed.) Streamed live from Wait Chapel on Sunday, December 6, 8 p.m. EST Friends will gather at the Wake … Continue reading

November 4, 2015 · Leave a comment

Plea of Mother Saves Two Bodies From Dissection

The old Wake Forest College Medical School always needed bodies for dissection–and none came with a story more sad or strange than this one. “I Know They Done Wrong, But They Were Mine,” … Continue reading

October 17, 2015 · Leave a comment

Speaker Gene Boyce: Wake Forest to Watergate

Annual Meeting Scheduled for Sunday, October 18th The Wake Forest College Birthplace Society will hold its annual meeting from 2:00-5:00 pm on Sunday, October 18, 2015 at the Wake Forest Historical … Continue reading

October 14, 2015 · Leave a comment

Hours & Info

Tues-Fri: 9am-noon & 1:30-4:30pm
Sun: 2pm-5pm

Closed: Saturday and Monday

Call us at 919.556.2911

Free Admission

Follow us on Instagram!

Flying the Demon Deacon flag as we host visitors from the WFU Alumni Council. Welcome to #oldcampus! Happy Easter from the Wake Forest Historical Museum. (Old Well photographed from the Brewer-Harris Garden) These are the brothers of Kappa Sigma fraternity. They went to school here on the Old Campus and reunite each year at the Trek. They are an amazing group and we appreciate all they do for the Wake Forest Historical Museum! #kappasigma #wfu "His most unusual talent was combining profanity in unexpected ways," author Tucker Mitchell says to our Trek to the Old Campus crowd, about the subject of his excellent biography, legendary WFC football coach Peahead Walker. #wfu #oldcampus