Wake Forest Historical Museum

The museum is now open with new health and safety procedures like free timed tickets and required cloth face masks.

Familiar Scenes at Shorty’s, 1950

On November 20, 1950, a reporter from the Old Gold & Black caught a few students having a late evening snack at Shorty’s. “Stanley Johnson is sleepily telling a friend of … Continue reading

September 27, 2016 · Leave a comment

“Shorty” is Dedicatee of this Issue of Paper

On Friday, December 4, 1942, the staff of the Old Gold and Black devoted an entire edition to Shorty Joyner. This wasn’t the first time the Wake Forest College newspaper had … Continue reading

June 8, 2016 · 1 Comment

A History of Shorty’s Famous Hotdogs in Ads

Flip through this history of Shorty’s from 1919 through 1950 by clicking on each photo in the gallery. These advertisements ran in the Wake Forest College newspaper, some more than once, and … Continue reading

June 1, 2016 · 4 Comments

The 1940 Fire at Shorty’s Theater

Shorty’s Famous Hot Dogs is legendary, but did you know Shorty Joyner also owned the Collegiate Theatre? It was on South White Street–right where the restaurant is today–and it catered to … Continue reading

March 15, 2016 · Leave a comment

“Main Street, Wake Forest” Has a Personality

In March 1944, an article about our historic downtown appeared in the Wake Forest College newspaper, the Old Gold & Black. Essentially a love letter to South White Street, it was written … Continue reading

February 18, 2016 · 6 Comments

A Salute to the Holding School of Dance

When it comes to adorable photographs, it’s virtually impossible to surpass young dancers in recital costumes. So it was quite thrilling this week to receive a collection of three Kodachrome slides from … Continue reading

March 29, 2015 · 2 Comments