Wake Forest Historical Museum

LOCATION: 414 N. Main Street Wake Forest, NC 27587 CONTACT: 919-556-2911

Wake Forest Has a Disastrous Hailstorm

A record-setting hailstorm hit town on June 13, 1896. Hours after it ended, Wake Forest College Mathematics Professor John Francis Lanneau stuck a ruler into a drift against the college … Continue reading

June 6, 2017 · Leave a comment

Discovering Hundreds of Graves in the “Old Cemetery”

This Sunday, May 21st at 3:00 pm, the museum is hosting a free public forum about the historic “Old Cemetery” of Friendship Chapel Missionary Baptist Church. Through the use of ground … Continue reading

May 17, 2017 · Leave a comment

Haunted History: Strange Happenings on the Old Campus

The following account is a haunted legend that grew up around the Alumni Building, which served as Wake Forest College’s first medical school. The building, located where the SEBTS Jacumin-Simpson … Continue reading

October 25, 2016 · Leave a comment

When William Bailey Royall Met the King of Greece

  Wake Forest College Professor William Bailey Royall made international news on May 17, 1904 when he bumped into King George and Queen Olga of Greece while touring the palace … Continue reading

May 18, 2016 · Leave a comment

The Big Snow of 1948

A violent winter storm hit town in 1948. It was the first week of February, and twelve inches of ice and snow threatened to shut down campus. Law Professor William Soule … Continue reading

January 21, 2016 · 5 Comments

Merry Christmas! ‘1875 Style’

In the early days of Wake Forest College, it was too difficult for students to travel home for the holidays. This article, published decades ago, gives a glimpse of  Christmas in … Continue reading

December 4, 2015 · 1 Comment

October 15, 1954 – Hurricane Hazel Hits Wake Forest

(A report published in the storm’s aftermath.)  Wake Foresters listened to radios and read the day’s paper Thursday evening about the eighth lady of the season to rear up and menace … Continue reading

October 13, 2015 · Leave a comment

The Wall Murder – Wake Forest’s Civil War Legend

UPDATE – Wall Family Descendant Ronald R. Wall, Colonel, USAF (Retired) has kindly provided the facts to fill in the blanks of this fascinating piece of history. Read his remarks here, … Continue reading

May 1, 2015 · 12 Comments

A Rare Glimpse of the 1950 Campus in Technicolor!

One of the museum’s more exciting recent finds within the collection has been a group of color slides depicting campus life in 1950. The images, donated by Cedric Davis (WFU … Continue reading

March 17, 2015 · Leave a comment

The Day Dizzy Came to Town

(Originally published in The Wake Weekly) In one of the most spectacular, and possibly strangest, moments in Wake Forest’s holiday history, music legend Dizzy Gillespie bounded off a Greyhound bus … Continue reading

November 20, 2014 · Leave a comment

Looking for Relief from March Madness

Written by Tom Parrish (WFU ’67) President, Wake Forest College Birthplace Society The ACC basketball tournament is a reminder of the fever that strikes this time of year, especially if … Continue reading

March 19, 2014 · Leave a comment

The High Humor and Historic Times of Dr. N.Y. Gulley

Dr. Needham Yancey Gulley’s life was split almost evenly between the centuries. As a boy during the Civil War, he saw Sherman’s troops march toward Raleigh. In 1894 he founded … Continue reading

January 4, 2014 · Leave a comment

1947 UNC vs. Wake Forest College

In February 1947, Wake Forest’s Demon Deacons challenged the UNC Tarheels on the historic hardwood of Gore Gymnasium. A photographer filmed the action with a 16mm camera. After the film … Continue reading

July 22, 2013 · 2 Comments

Founding of Wake Forest

In early 19th century North Carolina, an area in Wake County north of Raleigh that was known for its forest of fine hardwood trees was called the Forest of Wake. … Continue reading

July 17, 2013 · 2 Comments

The New Campus

Land on Reynolda, the estate of tobacco magnate R. J. Reynolds, was given to the College by the Reynolds family for the new campus. Designed by Jens Fredrik Larson and … Continue reading

July 17, 2013 · Leave a comment

Hours & Info

Tues-Fri: 9am-noon & 1:30-4:30pm
Sun: 2pm-5pm

Closed: Saturday and Monday

Call us at 919.556.2911

Free Admission

Follow us on Instagram!

Atlas Ray, owner of a legendary store in the Harricanes, was among those remembered at the WFHA program on country stores. Just received several reels of 16mm film. Looks like 1950s home movies of the Demon Deacs in the Billy Barnes days!!! From the April 1961 Wake Forest phone book... instructions on how to use a dial telephone, how to dial a number, how to interpret ringing and busy signals, and what to do on a party line. Anyone else remember those days? This amazing photo from Sanford Bailey shows just HALF of the folks at the 1954 Powell Family Reunion!!!