Wake Forest Historical Museum

The museum is now open with new health and safety procedures like free timed tickets and required cloth face masks.

Demon Deacon

The colors “Old Gold and Black” have long been associated with Wake Forest, and early nicknames were the “Baptists” and at one point the “tigers.” But the name “Demon Deacon” … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · Leave a comment

Early Days of Wake Forest Sports

During the College’s first five years, students spent much of the day studying and doing manual labor. Only on Saturday afternoons were they allowed to participate in some form of … Continue reading

July 24, 2013 · Leave a comment

Wake Forest Medical School

A half-century after the Baptist Biblical Recorder suggested that Wake Forest College establish a medical department, in 1902 the two-year Wake Forest Medical School opened with thirteen students in its … Continue reading

July 23, 2013 · 2 Comments

The Early Years

In 1834 the North Carolina Baptists purchased the Calvin Jones plantation as the site for an institute to educate Baptist ministers. The Calvin Jones House served as home of the … Continue reading

July 23, 2013 · Leave a comment

Wake Forest Law School

In September 1893, Wake Forest College opened a School of Law. Its first students enrolled in 1894. Inaugural Dean N.Y. Gulley taught at the school for 44-years. His tenure yielded … Continue reading

July 23, 2013 · Leave a comment

Building the Exhibits

As of October 1, 2010, what was once a cavernous black space is now taking shape… turning into the small, three-walled rooms (known as “vignettes” in museum lingo) where museum … Continue reading

July 21, 2013 · Leave a comment