Wake Forest Historical Museum

Due to concerns over COVID-19, the museum has suspended public operations until further notice. Staff will be checking emails and voicemail regularly and responding as quickly as possible to questions and concerns. Please check back for updates. Thank you for understanding.

Speaker Gene Boyce: Wake Forest to Watergate

Annual Meeting Scheduled for Sunday, October 18th

The Wake Forest College Birthplace Society will hold its annual meeting from 2:00-5:00 pm on Sunday, October 18, 2015 at the Wake Forest Historical Museum.

This year’s keynote speaker is Gene Boyce (WFC ‘54, JD ‘56), who earned his undergraduate and law degrees on the old campus and went on to serve as assistant chief counsel to the Watergate Committee. As a lead investigator on the case that eventually revealed President Richard Nixon’s hidden White House taping system, Boyce helped untangle the criminal activities surrounding the president’s 1972 reelection campaign.

Boyce will describe his experiences with the Senate Watergate Committee, working on the team led by Senator Sam J. Ervin, and participating in the 99 days of televised hearings that showed the world a different Nixon and permanently altered the nation’s relationship with both politics and journalism.

With his boundless intelligence and spirit, Gene Boyce is perhaps best remembered from his years at Wake Forest as one of the student leaders who simply did everything.

Pictured here (back row, second from left) with the 1952 Cheering Squad, Boyce was elected Student Body President in 1953.

1952 Cheering Squad

A longtime member of student council, he was a brother of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and also served as president of the famed Philomathesian Literary Society.

Boyce and his wife Pat are valued friends and supporters of the Birthplace Society.

For more information, please visit the museum website (www.wakeforestmuseum.org) or call Executive Director Ed Morris as 919-556-2911.

About wakeforestmuseum

This is the Old Well that stands beside the two-story Greek-Revival house in northern Wake County that was purchased by Calvin Jones in 1820 along with 600 acres of land. It is the oldest historic structure in the Town of Wake Forest. Initially used concurrently as a residence, doctor’s office, and post office, the property was sold in 1832 to the North Carolina Baptist Convention, which was seeking a suitable location to educate young ministers. What is now Wake Forest University opened here in 1834 and, under the guidance of first President Samuel Wait, began to develop a flourishing student body, advanced curriculum, and new brick campus. Today the Calvin Jones House is part of a four acre complex that includes gardens, pathways, and a state of the art museum. The house is furnished to reflect the period of its various residents, and the museum’s extensive displays depict the history of college and town.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: