The Old Well is a beloved campus landmark that likely dates back to the early days of the Calvin Jones House. Located just a few yards from the house at its original location on the Wake Forest College campus, the well may have served as the property’s first water source.
Reportedly dug by the Wilson Artesian Company, records suggest the well was installed through 70-feet of solid rock for a total depth of 101-feet. The everyday pump was replaced in the early part of the twentieth century, when the Class of 1911 raised funds to purchase the elegant marble fountain for which the Old Well became famous.
When Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary decided the Old Well was no longer needed on campus, its leaders generously donated the structure to the Wake Forest College Birthplace Society, where it was honored with a dedication ceremony on April 21, 2001.