Wake Forest Historical Museum

Due to concerns over COVID-19, the museum has suspended public operations until further notice. Staff will be checking emails and voicemail regularly and responding as quickly as possible to questions and concerns. Please check back for updates. Thank you for understanding.

Early Days of Wake Forest Sports

Baseball Team

During the College’s first five years, students spent much of the day studying and doing manual labor. Only on Saturday afternoons were they allowed to participate in some form of recreation such as music or fishing.

Eventually sports became a greater part of college life. When the school reopened after the Civil War, students played bandy (a form of hockey) and baseball on a regular basis.
Football became very popular in the late 1880s, even though many faculty members viewed the game as dangerous and even forced a football moratorium for several years.

In October 1888, Wake Forest defeated UNC in football in the first intercollegiate game in the state.

Arising out of campus clubs, baseball was formally organized in 1891 and rapidly grew in popularity. Tennis followed in 1903, track in 1905, basketball in 1906, and golf in 1933.

About wakeforestmuseum

This is the Old Well that stands beside the two-story Greek-Revival house in northern Wake County that was purchased by Calvin Jones in 1820 along with 600 acres of land. It is the oldest historic structure in the Town of Wake Forest. Initially used concurrently as a residence, doctor’s office, and post office, the property was sold in 1832 to the North Carolina Baptist Convention, which was seeking a suitable location to educate young ministers. What is now Wake Forest University opened here in 1834 and, under the guidance of first President Samuel Wait, began to develop a flourishing student body, advanced curriculum, and new brick campus. Today the Calvin Jones House is part of a four acre complex that includes gardens, pathways, and a state of the art museum. The house is furnished to reflect the period of its various residents, and the museum’s extensive displays depict the history of college and town.

Leave a Reply

Information

This entry was posted on July 24, 2013 by in Exhibits and tagged , , , .
%d bloggers like this: