Wake Forest Historical Museum

Due to concerns over COVID-19, the museum has suspended public operations until further notice. Staff will be checking emails and voicemail regularly and responding as quickly as possible to questions and concerns. Please check back for updates. Thank you for understanding.

Wake Forest Law School

LawSchool

In September 1893, Wake Forest College opened a School of Law. Its first students enrolled in 1894. Inaugural Dean N.Y. Gulley taught at the school for 44-years. His tenure yielded steady growth and a legendary state bar admittance rate.

Committed to educating all who wanted to learn, Gulley ignored a trustee directive and allowed women to begin auditing classes in 1915. Two women students passed the state bar examination in 1927. By 1931, approximately half of North Carolina attorneys had been school by N.Y. Gulley. Other talented scholars taught during these years and contributed immeasurably to the school’s success.

New professional standards influenced the school and culminated in its 1935 admittance to the American Association of Law Schools. World War II brought innovations. On June 1, 1943, the law schools of Wake Forest College and Duke University joined programs and began a two-year degree course. The joint school ceased when the war ended, but the program remained until the war’s veterans were educated.

Able post-war leadership from Deans Robert E. Lee and Carroll W. Weathers– with support from outstanding faculty including Professor E.W. Timberlake, Jr., and Dr. I Beverly Lake, Sr., helped solidify the Law School’s prominence in this state and beyond.

About wakeforestmuseum

This is the Old Well that stands beside the two-story Greek-Revival house in northern Wake County that was purchased by Calvin Jones in 1820 along with 600 acres of land. It is the oldest historic structure in the Town of Wake Forest. Initially used concurrently as a residence, doctor’s office, and post office, the property was sold in 1832 to the North Carolina Baptist Convention, which was seeking a suitable location to educate young ministers. What is now Wake Forest University opened here in 1834 and, under the guidance of first President Samuel Wait, began to develop a flourishing student body, advanced curriculum, and new brick campus. Today the Calvin Jones House is part of a four acre complex that includes gardens, pathways, and a state of the art museum. The house is furnished to reflect the period of its various residents, and the museum’s extensive displays depict the history of college and town.

Leave a Reply

Information

This entry was posted on July 23, 2013 by in Exhibits and tagged , , , .
%d bloggers like this: