The museum is now open with new health and safety procedures like free timed tickets and required cloth face masks.
This mail cart was used to shuttle US Mail from the Train Depot to the Royall Cotton Mill on the northern edge of town.
Mail was then sorted and distributed throughout the factory and adjacent commissary. Originally the cart would have had handles and the large wheels allowed it to be rolled easily down the dirt streets of Wake Forest.
The cart is a gift from Mrs. Joyce Davis of Wake Forest and is included in the museum’s exhibit on the Royall Cotton Mill.
We have had the doctor’s buggy for some time now. The one horse, one passenger rig dates from around 1900. In an era of housecalls, the town doctor would have used it to see patients, traveling the rural roads to dispense medicines, make diagnoses and provide treatment. The buggy, now housed in the Wilson Reception Gallery, is made even more interesting with the addition of an antique medical bag and cooling jug.
The buggy was located on Town of Wake Forest property and generously donated to the museum.