LOCATION: 414 N. Main Street Wake Forest, NC 27587 REG HOURS: (TUES-FRI) 9am to noon and 1:30 to 4:30pm SUNDAY HOURS: 2-5pm (Dependent on Volunteers) CONTACT: 919-556-2911
This is a special Christmas for the Wake Forest Historical Museum. Not only was the Calvin Jones House prominently featured in the town’s Historic Home Tour: Christmas in Wake Forest… but the home is nearly ready to reopen to the public.
The first floor is fully outfitted with historically accurate period furnishings, and looks very much as it did during the era in which Wake Forest College was foiunded. The second floor will be finished in 2013, with rooms furnished to resemble areas once lived in by students attending the college.
It’s always fun preparing for the holidays. To create the effects on view in our photo gallery, Executive Director Ed Morris… with help from Wake Forest College Birthplace Society Vice President Durward Matheny and 2011 Volunteer of the Year Shirley Matheny… decorated the house as it might have looked circa 1830. The glassware, greenery, refreshments and candles made visitors feel as if they’d walked into a Christmas Dinner hosted by one of the home’s original owners.
Meanwhile, in the modern museum facility, you’ll find a pair of luminous trees… one in the Edwin G. Wilson Reception Gallery and the other in the Nancy Cullom Harris Auditorium. The Wilson Gallery tree is decorated in black and gold, with ornaments featuring the Demon Deacon. The Harris Auditorium tree is traditionally done, with handblown glass ornaments donated by noted local philanthropists Louise and Bill Howard.
We’re grateful to have so many wonderful friends and supporters, and give thanks for the significant and generous support we receive from Wake Forest University, the Town of Wake Forest, and members of the Society. Every visit, every call, every donation has made 2012 an important year for us at the Wake Forest Historical Museum.