Wake Forest Historical Museum

Due to concerns over COVID-19, the museum has suspended public operations until further notice. Staff will be checking emails and voicemail regularly and responding as quickly as possible to questions and concerns. Please check back for updates. Thank you for understanding.

Archival Collection

The Museum collects archival materials relating to the history of the College and the town.

Peahead Walker

Today it owns over 15,000 pages of documents ranging from the lecture notes of Dr. Willis R. Cullom to the football plays of Coach Douglas “Peahead” Walker. The approximately 2,000 photographs include a glass negative that shows the earliest known view of the old campus.

The Museum owns over 600 books, many of which were written by Wake Forest College staff and students. Over 1,000 college publications are part of the collection. One outstanding example is a college catalogue that was printed and distributed shortly after the school was founded.

About wakeforestmuseum

This is the Old Well that stands beside the two-story Greek-Revival house in northern Wake County that was purchased by Calvin Jones in 1820 along with 600 acres of land. It is the oldest historic structure in the Town of Wake Forest. Initially used concurrently as a residence, doctor’s office, and post office, the property was sold in 1832 to the North Carolina Baptist Convention, which was seeking a suitable location to educate young ministers. What is now Wake Forest University opened here in 1834 and, under the guidance of first President Samuel Wait, began to develop a flourishing student body, advanced curriculum, and new brick campus. Today the Calvin Jones House is part of a four acre complex that includes gardens, pathways, and a state of the art museum. The house is furnished to reflect the period of its various residents, and the museum’s extensive displays depict the history of college and town.

One comment on “Archival Collection

  1. Rodney Ray
    October 19, 2018

    We have that picture at the high school

Leave a Reply

Information

This entry was posted on July 17, 2013 by in Artifacts and tagged , , .
%d bloggers like this: